Now is your opportunity to support Killarney’s new fifteen-year lease!
Members of Western Province Motor Club, family, friends, race enthusiasts and the entire racing industry have a chance to voice your support for a 15-year lease extension for Killarney International Raceway. Please E-mail your support, with reasons, to the City of Cape Town: Susarah.DuPlessis@capetown.
The City of Cape Town opened a 30-day public comment period on 22 April 2022 on whether Killarney should be granted a new lease from 1 January 20223 until 31 December 2038. Comments must be e-mailed on or before 23 May 2022. The City will review all comments in support of the lease and all objections, and the Council will then take a final decision whether to approve the lease extension of 15 years or not.
Objections can be expected. It is, therefore, very important that all supporters of Killarney show their support in writing in an e-mail to the above address. All comments must provide reasons.
Your support will help Killarney:
- to continue 75 years of racing heritage
- remain the home of motorsport in the Western Cape, as the only true multi-purpose facility and an inclusive racing, motorsport, family, charity and event venue for all of Cape Town’s residents
- host and attract even more top-class international, national, and regional racing and continue to boost the tourism industry by bringing international and national visitors to events at Killarney
- continue to assist the City to combat illegal street racing
- continue to contribute over R350 million annually to Cape Town’s economy
- hold 200 events per year (pre-Covid 2019) of which 70 were charity fundraisers
- support the essential car, motorcycle, performance, parts, equipment, and service industry in Cape Town
- attract events, create, and sustain jobs
- upgrade and maintain the facility to high standards
In the advertisement in Die Burger and Cape Argus on 22 April 2022, the City of Cape Town states:
- the Killarney site is not required for basic municipal services:
- a long-term lease will benefit Cape Town and its residents.
- Keeping Killarney will contribute to training, development and road safety in motorsport, the economy and job creation.
- The property will be secured, maintained and likely upgraded.
- WPMC will pay the City a market-related rental, property rates and for utility services.
The WPMC has been waiting for this moment for years and appeals to its Club members and all other Killarney supporters to use this crucial opportunity to write to the City of Cape Town, support a new fifteen-year lease while giving reasons for your argument. Susarah.DuPlessis@capetown.
See advertisement below, alternatively click on this link – “ADVERT CALLING FOR PUBLIC COMMENT”